Potassium is one of the most important minerals. Your body requires it for many functions like fluid regulation, muscle contractions, and reducing blood pressure. It also protects against stroke, osteoporosis and kidney stones. The good thing is that multiple sources of potassium are readily available. The following is a list of potassium rich foods that may surprise you.
Let's make sure that you get enough potassium to feel your best with these foods.
AVOCADO TUNA SALAD
Ramp up your tuna salad with a creamy avocado.
* 1 can Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore Tuna drained
* 1/2 large red bell pepper diced
* 1/2 large carrot peeled and diced
* 1/4 cup grape tomatoes diced
* 1 scallion green part only, thinly sliced
* 1/2 large ripe avocado or 1 smaller one, mashed
* juice of 2 small limes about 1 tbsp
* 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt or to taste
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the tuna, all the diced veggies, mashed avocado, lime juice, sliced scallions and salt until well combined.
2. Serve alone or over a salad, in a wrap, or with grain free crackers or plantain chips.
3. Enjoy! Store any leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
It may sound crazy to use greens for a crust, but it's really good.
* 6 large leaves of Swiss Chard
* Pizza sauce (Muir Glen and Eden brands have low sugar)
* Your favorite toppings
* Cheese of your choice
1. Warm avocado oil or coconut oil in a skillet
2. Devein the chard and fold 2 leaves into squares.
3. Add pizza sauce on the squares
4. Add toppings and cheese
5. On medium heat cook until cheese melts
Another way to do this is to create the cheese layer as the "crust."
* 8 oz cream cheese
* 2 eggs
* ¼ tsp black pepper
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* ¼ c parmesan cheese
BAKED LIMA BEANS & VEGGIES
This is a great dish for a chilly night.
* 2 cups lima beans , dried
* 1 sweet onion, diced (about 3 inch diameter)
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing, optional or use 1/3 cup broth for oil free
* 2 carrots, chopped (about 5 inches long)
* 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 8 inches long)
* 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped (or Swiss chard or both)
* 1 pound fresh tomatoes, diced
* 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
* 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2. Wash and soak the beans in a pot overnight.
3. The next day, drain the beans and add enough fresh water to cover them. Cook over low heat until half tender, about 30 minutes, drain, and save the broth.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C
5. In a large pot sauté the onions in veggie broth or olive oil for 2-3 minutes until they begins to get translucent.
6. Add the garlic, carrots, celery, spinach and/or Swiss chard and sauté for a couple more minutes.
7. Add beans and mix well.
8. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and sauté for another minute. Then add parsley and mix well.
9. Add enough reserved broth from the beans to barely cover them. If you don’t have enough reserved broth, then use water for the rest (you can also use extra veggie broth).
10. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes stirring, occasionally. Add more broth if needed. You don’t want it to get too dry.
11. Transfer to a 9 x 12 glass baking dish, cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until beans are tender and liquid has evaporated.
12. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
ACORN SQUASH LASAGNA
You don't need noodles for lasagna.
* 1 batch Homemade Marinara Sauce
* 400 g butternut squash, thinly sliced
* 1 tbsp ghee or extra virgin olive oil
* 1.5 lb grass-fed ground beef
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 2 packs ricotta cheese
* 2 large eggs
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Prepare the Marinara Sauce by following this recipe. Preheat the oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F.
2. I used pre-cut butternut squash lasagne sheets. If you can't get pre-cut slices, simply peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Then use a mandolin to slice it thinly (about 1/8 inch.
3. Grease a large pan with ghee and add the ground beef. Cook for 5-7 minutes while stirring, or until opaque. Add half of the marinara sauce and oregano. Season with half of the salt and pepper.
4. Prepare the ricotta layer. Combine the ricotta, eggs, chopped parsley and basil. Season with the remaining salt and pepper.
5. Spread the remaining marinara sauce on the bottom of a large casserole dish. I used a 26 x 18 x 6.5 cm (10 x 7 x 2.5 inch) casserole dish. Add the first layer of butternut squash slices. You will use a total of 3 butternut squash layers.
6. Top with half of the ground meat mixture and half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
7. Add another layer of butternut squash slices and top with the remaining ground beef.
8. Spread the remaining ricotta cheese mixture on top of the ground beef.
9. Top with the remaining butternut slices, grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
10. Cover the casserole with a baking foil and transfer into the oven. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 7-10 minutes.
11. Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Once cooled, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
BEETS AND SWEET POTATOES
If you love beets or sweet potatoes you'll love this dish. The goat cheese will melt over the warm root veggie
* 2 Beets peeled and cubed
* 1 Sweet Potatoes peeled and cubed
* 2 tbsp Olive or Avocado oil
* 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme leaves
* Kosher salt
* Black pepper
* 5 oz. Arugula or your favorite salad greens
* 4 oz. Goat Cheese
* 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
* 1 tbsp coconut aminos
* 1 clove Garlic crushed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Wash, peel, and cube beets and sweet potatoes. Place them in separate bowls.
3. Season each vegetable with salt and black pepper. Add thyme and olive oil. Mix well.
4. On a baking sheet spread beets and potatoes out in an even layer.
5. In order for the sweet potato to retain its beautiful color, place veggies side by side on a large pan or use smaller backing sheets for each individual vegetable.
6. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through.
7. In a large serving bowl, create a luxurious bed of crisp arugula and top it with a mixture of roasted beets and sweet potatoes.
8. Drizzle lightly the vinaigrette.
9. Top the salad with generous amounts of goat cheese.
1. In a small bowl combine balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos and crushed garlic.